How do I register my business for VAT

When do you need to register for VAT at SARS?

If your company had a turnover of more than R1m for any consecutive 12 month period, it is mandotary to register for VAT at SARS.

Can you do a voluntary VAT registration at SARS?

Yes, there are circumstances where a company can register for VAT on a voluntary basis. Contact us to see whether you can register your private company.

What to do after a VAT registration?

SARS will notify the taxpayer in which category the VAT periods fall. The company then has to submit a VAT201 return to SARS every 2 months. The company also has to pay any VAT due to SARS before the end of the following month.

The company also has to ensure, that all the following details are displayed on the supplier invoices. Thus, it is very important to notify your suppliers that you registered for VAT.

  • Your company name
  • Your company address
  • Your VAT number
  • The invoice date
  • The name of the supplier
  • The supplier’s VAT number
  • The supplier’s address

Click here to read more about VAT.


register your private company for VAT at SARS